Friday, September 10

Cross Country Redux

Since April 2009, I've gone on three separate cross country road trips. Despite enduring D.C. traffic for years, I really enjoy driving. Perhaps less so in the monotony of freeway traffic, but I find it a calming experience. Driving is primarily an observational activity and once the mania of urban/suburban life peels back, there are few things I find more peace in than driving through an idyllic countryside and watching America unfold through my windshield. Without a plane to catch or reservations to keep, being on the road affords a liberating sense of anonymity. I find it much easier to quiet my mind and be still during these times.

Cross Country Cars

I'm disappointingly untraveled abroad, but through these trips I think I've seen more of America than most have. I'm happy to say that America is gripping and diverse. Rolling through new cities, wandering around national parks, or just stopping to admire the desert, with just a few tanks of gas I've found more than enough beauty and adventure within our own borders.

America ScenesAmerica ScenesAmerica Scenes

As if to illustrate the wandering spirit of the road trip, this took much more time and ended up being way longer than I had anticipated. As I went back through my archive of photos and retraced my steps across the country, I felt a similar sense of meandering.

4 comments:

  1. great compilation of photos. makes me want to travel again. let's go to alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude your font is so small! i like looking at the photos but i'll be perfectly frank - my eyesight is way too poor to be squinting to read your type. don't hate, i'm still visiting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would love to do something like this some time, hopefully when i'm still young!

    nicely written too.

    ReplyDelete