Tuesday, January 18

Winter Break (ii): San Francisco Sights

I was in San Francisco from last Thursday until this morning. A short trip to bookend my winter break. I went from a foot of snow in Boston to 65 and sunny. They say 70% of America is covered in snow right now and it looked like it on the flight over.

Snow

Beyond the western mountain ranges, California enjoys an almost otherworldly mildness. It was a nice break from winter to walk around in a t-shirt for a few days. I stayed with my friend/pseudo-cousin, Sally, and spent most of my time walking around and eating. While she was at work I wandered through the many neighborhoods peppered throughout the undulating hills around the city. San Francisco is full of vaguely distinct hipster streets and everywhere the subtle hint of marijuana lingers in the air.

Neighborhoods

In New York I sometimes dread having to cross several long blocks between avenues, but in San Francisco I came to dread turning a corner to find myself facing a 45 degree incline. The toll the hills took on my body notwithstanding, the constantly changing elevation promises an interesting backdrop virtually anywhere you look. Certain higher spots provide some spectacular views. I climbed the highest point at Telegraph Hill, but unfortunately Coit Tower was closed for renovations while I was there. It was nice, nonetheless.

Hills

Yes, that's the Full House house at the Alamo Park. That row of houses is called "The Painted Ladies." Then, of course, there are the bridges, both Bay and Golden Gate. Sally and I biked across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito on Saturday. The weather was beautiful. I'm told I lucked out there as it's been rainy recently.

Golden Gate

It was a really pleasant ride. I rarely have the opportunity to ride a bike. There's nothing quite so nostalgia inducing like riding a bike on a warm, sunny day. The trail ended in Sausalito, where we took the ferry back. Sausalito reminds me of pictures I've seen of the Greek islands. Colorful houses piled on top of one another on dramatic hills by the water. On the ferry ride back, we were treated to a stunning sunset over the Golden Gate bridge. I stood there clicking my shutter for a good 20 minutes.

Sausalito Sunset

San Francisco is a beautiful city. Not only that, it has some pretty good food. I will share some of what I stuffed my face with in the next post. All in all, a nice way to close out winter break.

6 comments:

  1. love the castro shot. i'm excited for my upcoming SF trip now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful shots...way to capture SF in this way.

    good to see you

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are gorgeousss. and i totally thought "full house" the instant i saw that row of houses picture haha.

    good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I absolutely adore the diptych of the Golden Gate! Wonderful photos - I'm heading down there sometime around April, so you just got me super pumped.

    And, even though I ride my bike almost every day, I totally agree with you about the nostalgia. Feels good, man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are lovely!
    Nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete